Tuesday, December 6, 2011

In yo' face: The Media vs. Women's Self Esteem



When I saw this, I was like, YES that is so what it feels like...being BOMBARDED with the same messages of inadequecy! I know the deal, (and even I suffer from the effect), but who I really worry about are the Young girls that are getting these messages from everywhere and believing they are less than and are in need of some kind of improvement due to our media relentlessly bombarding them with that very message. Body Image is always one of my main topics I discuss when working with girl groups. I think this is a really good, short video to illustrate exactly what I'm talking about. We need to Take Action and be talking to our young girls and boys about the difference between fantasy, make believe and consumer machine versus reality, healthy, self worth and the value of being comfortable in your own skin! What are your thoughts on body image, beauty and the media's potrayal?

1 comments:

Sunshine Builder Freedom Dancer said...

And then I read this... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/05/hm-fake-model-bodies_n_1129864.html Quote from the article:

"This illustrates very well the sky-high aesthetic demands placed on the female body. The demands are so great that H&M, among the poor photo models, cannot find someone with both body and face that can sell their bikinis."

So they are computer generating the bodies. A Serious abomination.

Post a Comment