Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Smoothie Recipes #1

As Promised Some Smoothie Recipies

Some Recipes I found with Ingredients I can use, maybe they’ll be useful to you too. The only one I have made so far is the Avocado, Carrot and Ginger smoothie and it was Surprisingly delicious. I found this recipe when looking to see how to use Vegetable Glycerin ** as a sweetner. Worked like a charm.

The Original Recipe:
Carrot, lemon and ginger avocado smoothie
1 tsp almond butter or tahini
1 large glass of water
1 tsp FOS/Stevia mix
1 small avocado (or half a large one)
1 small carrot (or part of a larger one), grated
½ - 1 tsp grated fresh ginger OR ½ tsp ground ginger
½ - 1 tsp lemon flavouring
1 scoop flaxseed meal
2 tsp vegetable glycerine

My Delicious Substituted “Use What You Got” Version:
(p.s. don’t have measuring spoons so I just used a soup spoon for “Tablespoon” and the spoon I use for coffee and tea as..well…”teaspoon”...still came out great)

ACCG (as I affectionately call it)

1 Half Avocado
1 Half Carrot Grated
1 tsp Ginger Grated
1 Whole Lìmon (i.e lime) squeezed (they are small like key limes)
2 tsp Vegetable Glycerin
8 oz of Water
1 tsp Panela
*I added a large Chard leaf (hence the second "C" and it didn't alter the taste at all...and made the color more appealing..looked less like baby food and more like a super hardcore healthy green shake, yeeaaahhhh) Oh and it doesn't separate so the last time I tried it I doubled the recipe and stored half for later. That's going to be great for mornings I'm short on time...

*****

Update

I have since tried some more that I like. Hooo Wee Talk about Trial and Error! It's fun though. It would be nice if I had a food processor or a REAL blender. BUt I make do with a plastic blender situation and a cheese grater...I use it for everything as the blender cannot handle chunks of anything. So know that pretty much any thing I can use on that grater. Ginger, Beets, etc...Ice would probably make some of these even better, so if you have a good blender try adding ice.

Fruity CoCo

Banana
other fruit (some kind of berry, peaches etc...I used strawberries)
6-8 oz of fruit juice
2-3 Tblspn of CoCo Oil

For my fruit juice I used soy Apple Juice. Since it's so hot here my Coco Oil was a liquid but up against my frozen strawberries it turned to a solid at the bottom of the blender and I didn't realize it until I was washing it out. I got a hint of Coco flava but it could have been better. Still a great smoothie.

BVC Smoothie Original
Coconut (milk and meat)
Kale
Cinnamon
Banana
Agave

My take on the same smoothie...

BVC Ecuador Remix

Banana
Coconut Oil
Chard
Cinnamon
Panela

This did NOT blend or go down well...So then I added water. Mistake! a swampy frothy mess!
So I saved it with...

1/2 Beet

It saved the day and was delicious...whew... I'll have to perfect it or just consider the Beet addition the official remix :)

Moon ABC

Apple
Beet
Carrot
Ginger
*Tasty w/soy apple juice

The most recent and surprisingly delicious smoothie is the...

Chardtastic Smoothie! it was born from the Chard I bought starting to wither. I would throw in a leaf here and there...but could chard play a leading role in a smoothie? We were going to have to see. I thought I had used up all my smoothie good luck as I have been able to save and make all of them delish....

Ladies and Gents...

Chardtastic

4-6 (or whatever is left) leaves of Chard
1 (or what's left) carrot(s)
2/3 index finger of ginger
2 bananas (best if frozen)
Tblspn Honey
Tblspn Peanut Butter
2 oz soy apple juice (or fruit juice of your choice)
2 oz Water

Mmmm Mmmm

Already my Energy has been through the roof! I thought I was going to feel faint after a weekend of smoothies but it was a great start to my Wellness Plan. By Sunday I did feel hungry though every few hours, but as my friend explained, my body isn't using energy to get energy from the food I'm eating, so it burns faster. When I'm off of the initial fast I'm going to carry peanuts around to satiate myself in between meals. Plus when I start up with beans and such, I'm sure I'll be fine. I highly recommend this to anyone looking to incorporate your daily doses of fruits and veggies into your diet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment