Friday, May 7, 2010

More Fabulous Hair Care Reviews.

More Fabulously Natural Hair Products to Review-

If any of you tune into SUN Day posts you know that I got a package of all sorts of things to play with during my Kinky Curly Curling Custard experiment.

I thought I would do a quick review of the things I’ve been using and what I think so for. I have a ton. I just think they are fabulous because most of the things aren’t fancy at all. Just good ol’ natural oils or products you’ve heard of but never though of using. Let’s dig in.

Baking Sod
a- Refrigerator deodorizer, toothpaste alternative, toilet scrubbing agent netti pot ingredient and hair clarifier (just to name a few). That’s right, Baking soda is great to add to your shampoo for a clarifying treatment. What do I mean by clarifying? Sometimes shampoo just doesn’t cut it if you are suffering from major product build up. In times like these reach for the Baking Soda and you will clean your hair and scalp with out stripping it of it’s natural moisturizer. Baking Soda also is a great No Poo Method. Just add some Baking Soda and water (I have found 1 parts Baking Soda to 8 parts water! Works for me…but I know it varies person to person) and you have a great hair cleansing non drying solution. Give it a Try!

Castor Oil- !!! I know right? So old skool, right?! If it ain’t broke don’t fix it as they say. Castor Oil has been a favorite for centuries. Well maybe not a favorite to those who got a spoonful of it to alleviate stomach issues. It’s popularly known as a n effective laxative. Well hey, if it’s on your shelf use it for whatever. All I know is that it’s natural deriving from castor beans and it’s wonderful for your hair.

I apply Castor Oil to my scalp mostly. I used to be on to “grease” my scalp but we all know that stuff was just too heavy and blocks pores hindering growth. Castor Oil is a perfect in between consistency. I try to not to coat my hair with it, since it IS thick because it’s harder to wash off of your hair. I leave the more light weight oils for that. Castor Oil is perfect for thinning hair or trouble areas. Just dab a bit on the thinning area for a couple of weeks and you will see growth! (as long as there isn’t permanent damage where the hair follicle is no longer in tact.) It is also great for damaged ends. If you have raggedy split ends. Instead of cutting it off and losing the length seal the ends with Castor Oil and they will repair themselves and leave you looking Fabulous!

CoCoNut Oil- Love! Love the feel, love the ease, love the smell. Coconut Oil is absolutely faboooo. Use it all over your body if you like, wash off your eye make up and then blend up some in your morning smoothie. It is as good for your skin and health as it is for your hair…oh and gentle enough for the eyes. Coconut Oil is light weight but packs a punch when it comes to moisture. Other special qualities it has is being great for those who have issues with dandruff. Since it’s so light weight even if you are not one to put oils or even greases on your scalp you won’t even know it’s there. It’s also great for scalp/hair hot oil treatment. Apply it to you scalp and hair and put on a plastic cap for 25 minutes to an hour and your hair will feel soft and supple and your scalp will be hydrated and dandruff free!

Jojoba Oil- another amazing stand out light weight oil. In my opinion it’s not as light as Coconut but I love oil with a bit of gravity to it. I haven’t experimented all the much with jojoba, but I know that jojoba is a main ingredient of so many expensive super hydrating creams. Jojoba oil is good to add to your shampoo if you feel its stripping your hair too much of it’s moisture.

Shea Butter- I have 3 Shea Butters to talk about. In general Shea Butter is the bizz-nazz! Natural Shea Butter has a natural sun protectant quality that makes it wonderful for taking on vacations. You can moistures and protect your hair and skin with this product (see how natural is the way to go! It covers all the bases!). It is a solid at room temperature and emulsifies in the head of the hand…which also makes it easy for travel and transportation. Skin wise Shea is supposed to be great for stretch marks and scars as well. But lets talk hair shall we? Because of it’s room temperature paste like consistency I use Natural Shea Butter for twist and braid styles. It seems to hold them and moisturize all that he same time.
The three kinds of Shea I have are:

Natural Raw Shea butter- Straight from the tree. You have to melt this down in or really rub it around in your hands to get it the right consistency for use. But I love it! For many people though shea in the raw is not their thing.

100% Natural Shea – This is a store bought mixture is whipped into a consistency that is user friendly and oh so smooth

Cantu Shea Butter
– Ok this is technically not Shea Butter only, but I’m putting it under this category. This product is fabulous. It’s a “Leave In conditioner/ Repair Cream” and it gets me through a pinch all the time. Since I’m trying to be on a moisturizing program. Whenever I have forgotten to tend to my hair. I rub this throughout my hair, no matter the style, and plastic cap it, or just scarf it up and 30 min for that moment my hair has had a moisture rebirth. You can use this on wet or dry how. Fab!

Vegetable Glycerin- This was the strangest of the bunch to me. Like, what IS IT? It’s a moisture power house that’s what it is. I had week of experimenting with VG and I think it’s the softest my hair has ever been. It’s a great great leave in conditioner. I will say this. For my hair if I wanted to do a braid out style this is not the product for that. You hair gets SOOO soft that it wil just morf into a fro or whatever your most natural state of your hair. It’s all moisture all the time. This Humectant is not playin around. You can throw your VG in your smoothies too as it’s ALL NATURAL!

Whew I think I covered them. If I missed something, holla at your girl, and I’ll do a review. If I missed any details and let me know so I can fill in the holes! Peace ☺

0 comments:

Post a Comment