Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Dream Routine

So as I’ve stressed I’m not expert, but in support of a friend and in support of Wellness and bettering my health, I’m trying a stab at a WAY more nutritious way of living.

Now the inspiration is the Gerson Method, however, where I live there are limited resources and I have to work with what I have. Meaning: I got my hands on a blender and that’s as far as I got…no cheese cloth, no juicer.

While I’m not able to do the juice method, I am starting off with Smoothies to get all of my fruits and veggies in. The idea of the Gerson Method is feeding it in such away that it has exactly what it needs to fight off all the “attacks” it encounters in this environment we have created.

Since I’m in Ecuador in a program, a big part of what we do is Integrate. It’s really our whole point of being here. So while I was a Pescatarian before coming here. I now have chicken feet and cow hooves in my soup daily. Cuisine is a big part of getting to know a culture so I try not to make a fuss. The ladies I work with know that I don’t like to eat the “cuerpos de los animales” (the body of animals) and I don’t eat “carne” (meat…but in Spanish that just covers Beef..not chicken, pork etc…). They know I don’t want “oink oink” (hey I forgot how to say “cancho” pig in Spanish!)…but we meet somewhere in the middle…and by that I mean…I STILL have to beg for no chicken feet in my soup ☺ You see it’s the best part, and since the ladies I work with are nothing but love, they can’t resist but to offer it to me first!

So that’s another disclaimer. When I’m in my neighborhood, working with the ladies I eat what they eat. For the most part any meat that they would make is technically free range. I usually known the chicken whose foot or head I’m offered later. I usually can get away with eating around things taking it “to go” and then giving it to fellow volunteers to eat. The whole point is, juicing and smoothies and all of the limits aren’t being practiced while I’m at work.

My answer to this though is while I’m in control of what I’m eating I have to be pretty hardcore with it! My dream routine would be a start my day with a fruit and/or veggie smoothie, if I am on my own for lunch, some kind of bean, lentil with salad arrangement and then salad or steamed veggies for dinner.

My friend who is doing the Gerson Method all the way, is also doing no dairy, no gluten and no sugar! So I thought wheat bread was going to be my back up for when I needed to feel satiated, but I guess not. I thought I was going to get away with a satisfying bowl of milk and cereal here and there, but that’s out too. I’m hoping after a couple of weeks my crazy active sweet tooth will simmer down.

I was looking up some things online, but I don’t know if I can find everything I need in Ecuador…and did I mention I don’t cook? That’s going to be a problem. Hopefully this will be an opportunity to learn. I say that every time I live by myself..and it hasn’t happened yet. Here’s hoping!

UPDATE
*******************************************************************************************************************************
My plan was to brave the market for the first time but I got nevous because it was getting dark and it can be a little unsafe. So I ended up going to the super market with a pen and pad and wrote down everything I bought and their prices. So I can remember what I have in stock…so I could report it to you readers…and to later compare prices to see how much better the market is if at all (but I’m more about supporting the market than the big super market in the future…)

What I ended up buying (p.s. this cost a big chunk of my living allowance I feel…I wonder if this is going to be an expensive endeavor…vamos a ver…)

Avacodo
Apples
Bananas
Strawberries

Carrots
Chard (wasn’t sure if I was gonna find that here! Could this be a Bok Choy Substitute?)
Spinach
Beets (score! Wasn’t sure...)
Squash
Red Cabbage
Onion

Ginger
Basil

Quinoa
Panela (not sure if this is legal saw it appear in some recipes)
Lentils
Black Beans

Vanilla Extract
Soy Apple Jugo (not even sure what that is, but I thought it was cool they had it!)


Since I had pretty much nothing in my fridge, this is what I’ll be using to feed myself for the next week (and after what I spent) hopefully week and a half to two weeks. Only time will tell!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment